As chair of the Greater Birmingham Young Republicans, I was able to grow the club by over 500% in my first four months in office. We are adding new members every month. Under my leadership the club has been reenergized, people are having fun at our meetings and we’re bringing engaging speakers to every meeting. I know what it takes to grow a Young Republican club and I look forward to assisting all clubs in the state to double their membership in my first year in office.Stephanie Petelos
Stephanie has been around politics her entire life, it’s really in her blood. Between her parents and her, the “Petelos” name has been on the ballot over 15 times. While attending Hoover High School her father, Tony, served as mayor of Hoover and her mother, Teresa, was a circuit judge. Stephanie has been knocking doors, engaged in policy and talking political strategy, well since she could talk.
- Current Chair Greater Birmingham Young Republicans
- Current YRFA Congressional District 6 Vice Chair
- Current Alabama Republican Party State Executive Committee Member
- College Republicans Federation of Alabama State Chair 2013-14
- YRFA Congressional District 7 Vice Chair 2013-17
- Former State Committeewoman, Secretary & Treasurer for Greater Birmingham Young Republicans
- Officer in GBYRs when they won National Club of the Year in 2015
- Jefferson County Republican Party Executive Committee member 2015-17
- Attended 2012 Republican National Convention
- Attended ’13, ’15, & ’17 Young Republicans National Federation Convention
- Jefferson County Republican Party Field Director 2018
- Campaign Manager David Carrington for Governor
Prior to attending law school Steph worked in nearly every avenue of politics. Early in her career she was a lobbyist in Alabama and Florida. As a public relations representative she worked with national organizations, Alabama State Parks, trade organizations, and corporations to educate and engage the public about legislation and policies. She facilitated numerous nonprofits and special interest group’s grassroots outreach and coalition building to impact public policy.
- Graduated from the University of Alabama with Honors with a BA in Economics and a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Juris Doctorate, Birmingham School of Law, graduating in May 2023
- Under graduate activities:
- Pi Beta Phi Sorority
- UA College Republicans Chair and Vice Chair
- Model U.N. team
- Student Government Deputy Director of Programming and Advancement
- Honors College member, Phi Sigma Pi Honors fraternity, Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society
- Law School Activities:
- Mock Trial Team
- Judge Hugh Locke Honor Society
- Birmingham School of Law Women’s Association
Steph is a law clerk in Shelby County. She lives in Birmingham with her fiancé Omeed Nabavian, their rescue dog Domino, and cat Jerry. They enjoy hiking, music, spending time at the lake, gardening and spend much of their free time improving their new home on the Cahaba River. They are members of Holy Trinity Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Cathedral. They are very excited to get married in the church Steph grew up in in September 2023. Steph is involved in the current class of Leadership Shelby County.